Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Georgia O'Keefe with Kindergartners


Georgia O'Keefe, Red Poppy VI, 1928
"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment.  I want to give that world to someone else." -Georgia O'Keefe
(G. O'Keefe slideshow presentation is here)
Last Friday the kindergartners and I did flower studies a la Georgia. I brought in a jar of flowers, sharpies, watercolor paper, and a couple of colors of liquid watercolors (I find that with kindergarten simple is really important. At least for me!) Before we started drawing, I gave each child a flower to touch, examine and smell. We talked about the color, shape, and texture of the petals; the center of the flower; the stem; how and where the colors were different. After spending a minute or two noticing, the kids drew their flower shape with a sharpie, and then added color. My main drawing instruction was to go as big as they could with their flower so they had lots of room to show all the details they noticed. I thought the pictures turned out great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment